There's something especially fun about eating outdoors. Maybe it feels loosely like a picnic? Maybe because nearly all food comes from the outdoors and you've got those farm-to-table feels going on? Or maybe because in more cases than not, outdoor meals are accompanied by a cold beer or glass of vino? I'll place my bet on the latter.
This summer I had the pleasure of living with two of my great Portland friends. And with that came an excellent backyard full of foliage, a hammock, neglected garden beds, and patio furniture. One of my favorite things to do was make a simple, tasty meal and enjoy it on the patio.
Here's a small sampling of my patio provisions.
1. Egg, veggie scramble topped with homemade Nappa cabbage kimchi.
2. Another egg scramble with spinach, avocado, and Hard Times Soilent Green hot sauce alongside a toasted everything bagel.
3. Mixed greens with seared tuna, turmeric roasted cauliflower, egg, quinoa, and chia seeds.
4. Bon Appetite's berry tahini yogurt cake. Made special for 4th of July.
5. Cheesy grits topped with shrimp and kale in a vinegary, green onion sauce.
6. Whole wheat toast with some sort of yogurt-y sauce (or maybe it was a goat cheese spread?) and a fried egg.
In a few short weeks I'll be moving out of this lovely home. There's a lot I'll miss, including quiet meals in the backyard. But new adventures (and patios) await!